There have been so many times in our lives where we’ve felt very alone and miserable. But very slowly we have learnt how to take a few things in our control. And that is the beauty of being a human. We can come out as a better version of ourselves even after going through tough times. This is a curation of what I have learnt and what people around me feel is important.
(I am also volunteering as a listener at a self help community, if you are going through a tough time, we are there for you! Join us here anonymously — https://discord.gg/cStuasJ)
- Talk to yourself. Talk to yourself the way you would help a friend in a similar situation. We often tend to be really harsh on ourselves for no reason. Remind yourself all the times you’ve made yourself proud, you’ve stood up for yourself, your friends and loved ones. Remember, no one can help you if you don’t want to help yourself.
- Make a mental image of the life you want 5 years from now. Your career, your house. The way you’ll arrange your kitchen shelf. Imagine making brownies with your partner or mum at 2 am because y’all got hungry? Imagine your rugs, your couch, the art you’ll own, your plants, your room.
- Don’t take responsibilities for someone else’s actions. You are not obliged to have relationships with unhealthy or toxic people. If you have family issues, remember you aren’t alone. You cannot create healthy relationships with people who aren’t interested in having a good relationship. And remember, you are not betraying anyone by speaking the truth. You are honouring yourself.
- Throw some colours in your room. Well, we aren’t kids and we can’t live like kids anymore. Organise your folders, your table, your bed, everything. Who likes to sit in clutter, anyway? Do you remember when you were kids and every time your mom changed your bedsheets it brought a smile on your face? Make lists and cross off the silliest things. It’ll give a sense of achievement. When you start organising little things in life, the bigger changes will start shaping themselves. Take in charge of your life. No one else will do that for you.
- Have that talk. If you are struggling to convey what’s in your heart and it’s making you anxious, have the talk. You will feel so much better, trust me. Doesn’t matter if they’re a friend, a colleague, your boss, anyone.
- Do things that make YOU happy. Not anyone else. You are allowed to choose the career you want. Its okay if you cheated on your meal. Watch penguin videos. Cook your food, learn a new skill. Be weird, it’s okay! You get this precious life only once.
Destroy the idea that you gotta be good at artistic things to enjoy them, that every hobby has to become something you’re so good at, you can monetize it. A capitalist lie. Sing offkey, draw poorly, write badly. Life is meant to be enjoyed, not monetized. You’re not a product.
7. Have an active lifestyle. Exercise multiple times a week. Lift weights. Learn martial arts, or play your favorite sport. Go on a trek. Save up money and go on that trip. When you are young and don’t have responsibilities, it is easier to do these.
If you have any other great advice, drop it in the response!